Contact: Randi Espinoza
TEL: (559) 733-5423
FAX: (559) 738-1137
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 25, 2016
Proteus, Inc. to help drought affected individuals with emergency services
VISALIA, CA- Proteus, Inc. announced today receipt of a large grant funded by the Department of Community Services & Development (CSD) to provide emergency services to those individuals who have experienced financial hardship as a direct result of the drought. Services will be provided in Fresno, Kings, Kern, and Tulare Counties.
“Experiencing a fifth consecutive year of drought has impacted the agriculture industry and farmworker families. The funding received from CSD will give much needed relief to these families who contribute so much to the Central Valley,” states Robert Alcazar, Proteus, Inc. CEO
The Drought Emergency Assistance Program (DEAP) provides emergency assistance such as rent, mortgage, utilities, food, and transportation to those migrant seasonal farmworkers and their families who have suffered unemployment or underemployment due to the drought. In order to qualify, employment must have been directly affected by the drought and income eligibility criteria must be met.
Services are available at the following Proteus offices:
- Delano Service Center, 1816 Cecil Avenue, Delano (661) 721-5800
- Dinuba Service Center, 400 W. Tulare Ste. C, Dinuba (559) 591-5701
- Fresno Service Center 2555 S. Elm Street, Fresno (559) 473-4486
- Hanford Service Center, 216 W. 7th Street, Hanford (559) 582-9253
- Kerman Service Center, 437 S. Madera Avenue, Kerman (559) 473-4489
- Porterville Service Center, 54 N. Main Street, Porterville (559) 781-1852
- Sanger Service Center, 1849 Academy Street, Sanger (559) 875-7146
- Selma Service Center, 3706 McCall Avenue Suite 116, Selma (559) 891-0135
- Visalia Service Center, 224 N.W. 3rd, Visalia (559) 627-0100
In addition, Proteus will be sending out the Proteus Mobile Employment Center (MEC) to rural community members who cannot easily access a Proteus office. A calendar of the Proteus MEC events will be made available at a later date.
Proteus, Inc. is a private non-profit, community-based organization with over 49 years of experience serving farmworkers and other low-income residents in the counties of Fresno, Kings, Kern, Tulare, and Los Angeles. Some of the programs Proteus, Inc. offers include adult basic and vocational education, job training, employment-related services, family self-sufficiency, energy assistance, gang prevention, childcare, and other human services programs aimed at helping individuals and families. Proteus, Inc. is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges and is a California Award of Performance Excellence (CAPE) Award winner. To learn more about Proteus Inc., visit www.proteusinc.org or call 1-866-776-9998.
For more information call Randi Espinoza at (559) 733-5423.